This page also includes the Privacy and Data Protection Policy for Melanie Thompson technical communications.
A cookie is a small file which is placed on a computer’s hard drive, or in the browser memory, to make a website work, or work more efficiently for returning visitors.
- Google Analytics
This website uses Google Analytics to record visitor trends. Google Analytics uses a cookie to track which pages are accessed. The cookie does not contain information that can be used to identify you, but it does use your computer’s IP address to determine where in the world you are accessing the site from, and to track your page visits within the site.
- Enabling/disabling cookies – You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings in your browser. However, this website may not function correctly if cookies are disabled.
- Changes to the cookies policy – If this policy changes in any way, I will update this page. Please revisit this page regularly to ensure that you are always aware of what information this website collects and which cookies it uses.
Privacy and Data Protection Policy
Version 1.0 May 2018.
- All project-related files for ‘live’ projects are stored on a password-protected computer that only I control.
- All emails for ‘live’ projects are stored on a password-protected computer that only I control.
- Files are backed up regularly to an external hard drive which is stored in a secure location and is also password protected.
- All project-related files and all emails for ‘completed’ projects are stored in a password-protected archive.
- I do not use cloud storage for client materials unless by prior arrangement (e.g. for the purpose of sharing files with clients or colleagues via Dropbox or Google Docs).
- I have taken steps to protect the security of information on my mobile phone and external hard drives.
- I have a security procedure in place that ensures all personal data is irretrievably wiped from all old devices before I dispose of them.
- I collect your personal data (as defined under the GDPR) so that I can: provide you with a service; respond to your enquiries; keep you up to date with new services/availability.
- I keep your data while you are a client and after your project is completed (for tax purposes).
- I collect your data directly (i.e. when you provide your details or join my mailing list).
- I do not share your personal data with third parties unless I have asked for your permission to do so.
- I will not sell, lease or distribute your personal information to third parties unless I am compelled by law to do so.
- You can opt out of any marketing communications at any time by emailing me or using an unsubscribe link.
- All new and existing clients are made aware of my Privacy and Data Protection Policy via links in my main email signature: (a) to this Policy; and (b) to join or unsubscribe from my newsletter mailing list (which is hosted by a GDPR-compliant provider).