I accept commissions for: chapters or whole books; promotional articles; professional manuals and guides; and corporate communications such as press releases and annual reports. Here are a few examples:
- ConstructionSkills commissioned me to adapt the CIP’s detailed technical publication, Construction Environmental Manual, to create a handy manual for construction managers to use on site. The book, Site Sustainability Simplified, was published in February 2009.
- I have been a regular contributor to Architectural Technology, the house magazine of the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT).
- The Building Research Establishment (BRE) asked me to write a 1500-word promotional article aimed at architects and designers, to outline the various advantages of incorporating renewable energy technologies in buildings. This article was based on background knowledge plus telephone interviews with a selection of manufacturers and end-users.
- I wrote several chapters for the CBI’s book Making energy work, including ‘Putting energy on the business agenda’ – a basic introduction to energy management (ISBN: 1901844323).
- I worked with the communications team at Hertfordshire County Council’s Environment Department, to turn their various written policies and objectives into a user-friendly guide to the Department’s work.
- Stonham Housing Association commissioned me to develop and write its maintenance manual. As well as writing, the project involved interviewing front-line staff, facilitating review meetings, commissioning illustrations and subcontracting the design and typesetting for this loose-leaf document.
In 2004 I launched a monthly email-based newsletter about sustainable construction, Get Sust (see the news feed on the right). The newsletter has been published as part of the NBS sustainability hub from 2011–2015.
Rewriting and substantive editing
I accept commissions for rewriting and editing technical and policy documents, and books. Examples:
- I have completed several projects for the British Council for Offices (BCO), including their flagship publication BCO Guide to Specification (2009), the BCO Security Guide and the BCO Guide to Post-Occupancy Evaluation (POE).
- RIBA Publishing commissioned me to assist Professor Brian Edwards with the thorough rewriting of his Rough Guide to Sustainability (3rd Edition), published in January 2010.
- RICS Books asked me to provide additional support to one of their well-known website contributors who was writing and illustrating a book for the first time. My role was to offer guidance on the overall structure of the book, rewrite some passages, and provide a full copy-editing service. Stuart Hill’s book, Practical Building Repairs: Small Works Solutions for Surveyors and Builders, was published in July 2008.
- I was commissioned to develop a new guide from two well-known energy management guides published by the Carbon Trust. The resulting document, A strategic guide to energy and environmental management (GPG 376), was the basis for a number of other energy management publications.
- The Furniture Reuse Network contacted me to help with the substantive editing of a technical manual at short notice to help them through a busy period for their in-house project team.
Copy-editing, proofreading and website work
I welcome enquiries from research organisations, professional bodies, publishers and businesses who need help with their publications and online communications. Here are some examples of recent projects:
- Providing an on-call, fast-turn-around copy-editing service to a major international organisation which publishes complex scientific reports;
- Compiling and editing E-news from the RFS, a fortnightly email newsletter for members of the Royal Forestry Society (RFS), including fact checking and web-based research;
- Website editing for a large UK-based research organisation, which involved writing, rewriting and proofreading, plus making changes directly into the client’s content management system (CMS) and providing search-engine-friendly metadata (description, keywords, alt tags);
- Maintaining and updating the RFS website – a large and detailed forestry knowledge base – using the Drupal CMS;
- On-screen proofreading of sales and technical literature for a leading construction materials supplier which offers a range of sustainable products;
- Development editing of GCSE physics, chemistry and biology course materials, including teaching notes and online resources;
- Substantive editing of content for an annual report originally written by non-native English speakers, published by an international federation;
- Copy-editing online learning materials for construction industry apprentices.